Monday, April 30, 2007

We Cannot Go to Preschool

As we realized how severe our son's allergies were we had to make a choice about our upcoming plans. I had been a stay at home mother for almost a year and we decided that both our son and I could use some more time out of the house. We are both extremely social creatures and love being around other people. However, at the same time I wanted to be near my little guy. I was offered a job as a preschool teacher where I could place my son in one of the classes. We would both be at the preschool for six hours a day and then get to go home and play some more and spend time with each other until his bedtime.
Upon discovering how quickly and by how little our son reacted we decided to nix the plans on going to preschool. We felt that there was no way we could expect the school to protect our son from reactions; we couldn't even do that 100% of the time. In addition my friend, who is the director, felt that the school wasn't equipped to deal with my son's allergies. Therefore, my husband and I came to the conclusion that our son and I would not be going to preschool this May.
We recognize that things will get a lot better after he grows out of the eat everything around phase but things will get better still after he can express himself verbally. Hence, we've also decided that until he can express the fact that he doesn't feel well; explain to people what he can't eat; and wash his hands before he puts them in his mouth that he will not be attending any preschool but the variety that takes place in our home with the mommy teacher.

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites