Friday, April 27, 2007

Anaphylaxis and Anaphylactic Shock

My son has never gone into an anphylactic shock; that being said he has had an anaphylactic reaction. Anaphylactic shock is the most severe reaction to an allergy and is probably the one people initially associate with anaphylaxis. Thus when my son's body became swollen, he had hives all over his body, he was throwing up, and he was sneezing and coughing I didn't think my son was having an anaphylactic reaction. I knew he was having an allergic reaction and of course called the doctors. A nurse from the Children's hospital called me and told me just to give him benadryl and the reaction would go down but I didn't have to come in to the ER.
Now I know that I should have rushed him immediately because even though he wasn't in shock he was experiencing anaphylaxis. According to my Allergist any time more than one system (ie. hives and throwing up or hives and sneezing) is effected by the reaction the person is having an anaphylactic reaction and should be administered benadryl followed by an Epipen and then taken to the ER.
According to National Jewish the following are symptoms of Anaphylaxis:
  • Increased trouble breathing
  • Coughing
  • Chest tightness
  • Wheezing
  • Dizziness
  • Fainting
  • Rapid weak heartbeat
  • Swelling in the mouth and throat
  • Trouble swallowing
  • Flushing
  • Itching
  • Hives
  • A feeling of warmth
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Stomach Cramping

My son also experienced swelling which is not on the list, however, my allergist and pediatrician considered that another symptom.
If you would like to know more about Anaphylaxis click on the link to National Jewish Hospital: http://www.nationaljewish.org/disease-info/diseases/allergy/about/conditions/anaphylaxis.aspx#symptoms

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites