Tuesday, April 24, 2007

"I'll Just Take Him to the Ice Cream Parlor"

The other day my husband and I were talking about if we have other children who aren't allergic to food that outside the home we would let them eat things that our oldest can't. I then commented to my husband that maybe sometimes one of us would take them for special things without our oldest. My husband's response was, "That sounds great and then I'll take Yoi to somewhere he can go for a special treat too, like the Ice Cream Parlor." He sat for a second and then was said, "Wait that was stupid."
It happens. Anybody who just had a child diagnosed with allergies realizes that mistakes will happen. Every once in a while we still call our son's nutramigen "milk" only to realize the mistake.
I've learned my whole life and even more so now that it's important to recognize when I've made a mistake and not to get angry at myself. They happen. I've also learned it's even more important now because when people not related to my son make them I need to be sensitive to them. After all if we make them and we live with it everyday of our lives then we shouldn't expect other people just visiting or that we are visiting to not make them.

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites