Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Restaurants Aren't so Relaxing Any More

My husband and I used to love going to restaurants. I didn't have to cook, I didn't have to clean and on top of it we got to eat food that wasn't normally on our cooking menu. After my son got allergies we realized when he would start eating full meals it would be hard to go to restaurants. We were ok with it and decided to enjoy going while we still had the chance.
Unfortunately, my son can react to even trace amounts on surfaces not visible to the naked eye. Therefore, restaurants even if we bring food for him aren't fun. We've learned ways to deal with in case there are situations when we don't have a choice such as on vacation or when somebody has a party.

I actually have a list of required things:
My own travel booster seat
Wet Ones or other Wet wipes with cleaning agents (not the ones your use for your child's tushy)
Table Toppers (I love them)

When I get to the table I clean the chair that he will use. I clean it all over because he likes to reach down and turn around and touch it everywhere. Then I clean the table in front of him. I never forget the sides of the bottom of the table, they are usually the most dirty. After that I set up his booster seat and put him a few inches from the table with his own tray on it. Finally I put a table topper on the area in front of him. Even though I keep him far from the table it's good to have a place that I can place his bottle or food that I brought with me.

1 comment:

magpie said...

Hi, I was linked here from the parenting page on glitter - I just wanted to say I'm so sorry you are going through this and thank you for blogging about it. My child is 16 months and is also allergic to dairy (and probably eggs & nuts). She is no way as allergic as your child, but it's still no fun, especially since as she gets older she begins to want what other kids/people are eating.

You might want to check out the recipes at postpunkkitchen.org. I found the vegan apple waffles submitted by Isa (actually all of Isa's that i've tried) to be really good and tasty for non-vegans as well. Also she's had the blondies w/ chocolate chips (only without chocolate chips) and it was nice to give her a treat that she could eat!

Add to Technorati Favorites