Monday, April 23, 2007

I Couldn't Even See It!

Shortly after my son was diagnosed by allergies I went to a resturaunt with a friend for lunch. I thought that it wouldn't be a problem if I just wipe the area in front of him and put him in a high chair that I also would wipe down. I believed that my precautions would be enough to protect my child, after all he wasn't eating at the resturaunt. I gave him some cherrios to eat from a bowl I brought from home and I fed him some butternut squash, also from home, with one of his baby spoons. I really thought that I had things under control. After all he hadn't had a reaction in a week.
My false sense of my son's safety led me to find out how severe his allergies were. After leaving the resturaunt my son had hives around his mouth and was throwing up once more. It was painful to see my son once again in pain. However, it was also very frustrating. I had though that I had protected him well enough I wiped the area with a napkin and water and I had made sure that he didn't eat anything from the resturaunt. It didn't matter. Somehow a trace of dairy or egg on the seemingless clean table or high chair had caused my son to have a reaction.
About a week later my son was playing with a toy, in the car, that had been in the same resturaunt. All of a sudden he threw it across the car. At first I thought it might be his throw the toy so mommy has to pick it up game so I gave it back to him. However, he literally hurled it across the car again as soon as it touched his hands. 15 minutes later my son started throwing up and he had hives again around his mouth. Apparently the toy had been contaminated as well and I couldn't even see that there was anything on it. I am so grateful that my little man knows so quickly that he is allergic to something, this was not the first time he had rejected something with an allergen it.
Nonetheless, even with my gratitude I felt disheartened. How could I protect my son from allergies if I couldn't even see them?!

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites