Saturday, May 5, 2007

What to Do Without Eggs

The bad thing about having an egg allergy is that it is in so many things. The great thing is you get a lot of home cooked meals and home baked goods. At least in this house that's the way it's worked.
I've learned since we found out about my son's egg allergies ways in which to substitute for eggs. There are many options out there however, I've gotten by on just a few honestly.
For baking and cooking I usually use Ener-G Eggs. This is a powder found in places like Whole Foods or Vitamin Cottage. You can use it in recipes as an egg, egg yolk, or egg white for baking purposes. However, it cannot be used to make an egg dish. Although it can be used to make French Toast. We just use the Ener-g Egg as a direct substitute in our French Toast recipes!
For baking cakes and cake like breads such as banana bread I use 1/4 cup applesauce for every egg I replace. This works really great. You can also use a whole banana, 1/4 cup squash or other puree of your choice which fits the test of your recipe better.
I've been told that there are other ways as well such as 2 Tbsp. water + 1 Tbsp. oil + 2 tsp. baking powder. I've never used this way all though I have added water and oil to recipes that I've used Ener-G eggs. I've done it all by feel however, because I know what my breads should feel like.
The one thing I was having a hard time figuring out was how to glaze my breads. Recently, I've learned that you can take 1/4 cup milk (I use Rice Milk) and 2 tablespoons sugar. You place this on the stove until the sugar dissolves and the mixture has boiled for 2-3 minutes. Then on a freshly baked bread just taken out of the oven you brush the glaze on and you have a beautiful glazed bread.
Lastly, for egg salads and scrambled eggs we use Tofu. It works really well and on Post Punked Kitchen you can find some nice recipes.
We've found that cooking without eggs is quite easy and that we get the bonus that we can eat raw and under cooked dough!

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites