Wednesday, May 16, 2007

A Food Allergic Kid

I have been told numerous times by parents of children with food allergies that their children are food allergic. I've also been told my own son is a food allergic kid. This title bothers me greatly. My child does indeed have food allergies. In fact my child has multiple food allergies, and has recently been diagnosed with more. Nevertheless, to me my child is not food allergic. It is not what defines him entirely as a human being. It is only an aspect of who he is. Granted it is a large aspect an effects many parts of his life. Nonetheless, there are many other qualities that make up my son: such as his brilliant sense of humor which already shows through at a year old, his mischievousness which is infectious, his inquisitiveness which enables him to understand things quickly, his easy going nature which enables him to enjoy life and smile even through all his pain. This is my child. These are what define him. I don't want him to be the food allergic kid, I want him to be the child that has food allergies and therefore, needs to have different boundaries and limitations. My child will not be defined only by his illness.

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites